In 1919, Leo J. Wahl invented the first-ever electric clipper… a hundred and one years later: “it’s still here.” But with many more features, various designs, and more importantly, an unrivaled track record of delivering the ultimate grooming experience to thousands of satisfied customers worldwide.
Wahl 9818 and 9864 are Head and Shoulders Above the Rest
In addition to its long history, Wahl 9818 and 9864 trimmers are a man’s best friend: “ladies too.”
“And here’s why.”
Quality: both trimmers are durable, built to last long. Wahl has so much confidence in its trimmers’ durability that the company offers a generous five years warranty on its trimmers. And to add, both trimmers are cordless and perfect for carrying around, and both have stainless steel blades.
Length options: both trimmers have adjustable combs. And this feature is an essential hallmark of any good quality trimmer. And especially if you are looking to trim or style, you need a trimmer with different length options.
Dry or wet trimming: Wahl 9818 and 9864 are both wet and dry trimmers. And rightly so, because ideally, you want a trimmer that offers you versatility. So, whether you shave before, during, or after a shower, your trimmer must be able to meet your preference.
A Comprehensive Analysis of Two of the Best Trimming Machine
Experience is the best teacher. And for this reason, this no-nonsense guide is not about my experience only. But an assortment of other people’s experience spanning over a hundred years and counting.
From the average guy who believes in giving himself the perfect trim, to the professional barber who makes a living from trimming: “Wahl 9864 and 9818 are both undisputed models.” And this is because both trimming machines have universal voltage, meaning you can use them anywhere in the world without any problems whatsoever. Both have a powerful motor, with self-sharpening blades, oh, and did I mention: “both are lightweight.”
My Experience with Wahl #9864 Clipper
What more can I say about the Wahl 9864, other than:
- I have had the pleasure of using its rotary trimmer to trim my ear and nose without causing any irritation to my skin.
- Clean and efficient trimming that makes me look bucks-office every time I hit the road.
- What I also like about this Wahl clipper, is the fact that it comes with significantly more attachments than your regular clipper: “there are as many as four different trimming attachments.” And of course, each with its unique use. For example, you can use the wide T-blade to trim or cut off your beard completely, your mustaches, as well.
- The trimmer comes with a dual foil shaver attachment to prevent nicks and cuts during your trim.
- It has as many as 12 different lengths of combs tuck in with the kit. And I reiterate, “this is a game-changer,” especially for men who like the style their hair, beard, and mustache in different shapes and sizes.
- And to polish things off, the Wahl 9864 has an impressive run time, thanks to its Lithium lon 2.0 battery. I mean, which other affordable trimmer on the market can give you 6 hours of constant use with only one hour of charging? There’s none, the Philips Norelco Mulitigroom MH7770 is a close contender, but it will cost you a tad more.
- And how can I leave this out, there’s a quick charge feature that gives you 5 minutes of use with 5 minutes of charge. Also, an LED indicator light that you can rely on to always give you an accurate battery status. And if you don’t mind me saying, “the packaging is exceptional,” the #9864 model comes with a fancy looking zippered protection case to protect your trimmer of accidental fall and a trimmer stand.
“Okay, let’s simplify everything…”
Pro (things l like about the #9864 model)
- The trimmer comes with a Lithium-Ion battery 2.0 that delivers 6 hours or constant cordless use after one hour of charging.
- It has twelve individual guide combs and featuring four different trimmers that allows for an assortment of cutting lengths and styling preferences.
- Worldwide voltage, meaning you can use this trimmer in any part of the world without any problem, it’s dual voltage: “use with 110v and 220v.”
- Easy to use, aided with a clear user manual, and a fast responding customer service.
- Hygienic Grooming, good news for men with sensitive skin.
- Its packaging allows you to tuck this trimmer in a carry on so that you can enjoy using it even on your vacation.
- The trimmer does shut down after you turn it off, and that’s occasionally. But nothing too major to worry about, because at max, this may happen about five times, and after that, the trimmer will operate the way it should.
How Did Wahl 9818 Clipper Turn Out?
Wahl 9818 vs 9864 comparison is a fascinating dual. After all, both of these clippers are exceptional in design and performance. Both machines are quite similar in terms of features, at least to a point. Because they do have their difference, mind you; subtle ones. So, without further ado, let’s take a deep dive into the Wahl 9818 clipper’s world.
The 9818 model has a lightweight stainless steel housing that is ideal for protecting them against accidental falls. And similar to the #9864, it’s dual voltage; you can use it in any part of the world.
Also, this trimmer has stainless steel blades, and anything made with stainless steel will last long. And besides, these blades are self-sharpening, and as such, they guarantee precision and expel any leftover hair follicles and dirt.
And I am not forgetting its four different types of trimming attachments that are super easy to handle. Unlike other trimmers that I have used in the past? I have found that Wahl #9818 is way more comfortable to use with its attachments. Swapping the attachments to achieve your desired trim and styling is completely hassle-free, and this I know, because it’s my personal experience.”
“Let’s dive deeper, shall we…”
There’s a T blade, and it’s ideal not only for facial hair but to remove any body hair. I’ve seen professional barbers use this blade on their clients.
A detail shaver to give you any style you want with precision. And what I like most about this feature this the fact that it allows you to do three to four types of facial outlining. Oh well, what more can I say: “jack of all trades?” At least for me.
With the Wahl #9818, styling your ear, nose, and brow hair is as easy turning on your trimmer, and I mean it. Whether you are a professional that’s trying to achieve a fishtail eyebrow for a client or an average guy who wants to trim his ear or nose, this trimmer does the job, and it does it well. Oh, don’t worry if you have sensitive skin, this trimmer is hygienic as well.
Twelve different combs with varying lengths from 1-1/16-inch to 1-inch length. Ideal for any hair type and varying hair lengths, whether fine or coarse and short or long.
And because Wahl 9864 is a split image of #9818, run time is not an issue, plus if you like LED display lights, there’s one.
Pros (things I like about this model)
- It feels just right in my hand. The compact size of this machine is what excites me. The size of it allows me to carry on my trimming with great ease.
- The stainless steel housing is another noticeable hallmark of the #9818 model: this guarantees protection, continued use, and lightweight.
- It has 12 different lengths of combs and featuring four self-sharping blades that allow you to trim and style varying lengths of hair while at the same time achieving precision.
- It has a razor-like function, but be careful to remove the guard.
- And you can also make full use of its zippered case, great for men on the go.
Cons (things I don’t like about this model)
- None replaceable battery, once the battery is damaged or has done its time, you will need to buy another one.
- The blades are shorter in width compared with some of the Wahl’s models.
What are the Similarities Between the Two?
First of all, let me start by stating that both the Wahl #9864 and #9818 are mirror images of each other. And that being the case, you will find numerous similarities.
Both have a lightweight stainless steel housing, great for prolonged use and protection against fall. And stainless steel self-sharpening blades that take care of leftover hair follicles.
Both #9818 and #9864 are compact and feels great in your hand. The ergonomic gripping system is another great feature that ensures both trimmers stay in your hand, so no need to worry about if either trimmer would slip out while doing your wet shaving or trimming.
Attachments are rarely mentioned, at least when doing a Wahl 9818 vs 9864 comparison. Why? Because both models are identical in terms of their attachment guards; they both have twelve, each with different lengths to deliver the perfect trim.
Both models are “All in One” shaving/trimming machines. And by that, I mean, they are capable to meet all of your grooming needs, whether that is body touchups, nose, and ear trimming. And yes, both trimmers are excellent options for the ladies too.
To add, both trimmers come with a Digital display as well. And this feature makes it easy to monitor the trimmer status, in terms of modes, battery status, on/off mechanism, blade velocity, and much more.
And noise; no problem, both models are quite operators that use magnetic forces, which allows them to work efficiently, and way less noisy than their counterparts.
Justice won’t be served if I don’t mention that both trimmers have convenient packaging, perfect for men on the go. And to wrap up the similarities, I might as well throw in customer service: second to none, Wahl customer service response time is the quickest of the lot, based on my experience. And if you have any doubts concerning their quality control department, don’t worry, replacements are hassle-free.
Let’s Discuss the Subtle Differences
In this part of the Wahl 9818 vs 9864 comparison, I will discuss in more detail the subtle difference between the two trimmers.
Lithium-Ion Technology Accompanying the Batteries
Wahl #9864 uses a Lithium 2.0 battery, which is slightly bigger than the #9818 model. It also has a long run time (6 hours), after one hour of charging, and its quick charge feature gives you five minutes of use after a one-minute charge.
On the other hand, where the Wahl #9818 battery is concern, it uses Lithium Ion+ (not Lithium 2.0). And unlike the #9864 model, this battery gives you four hours of constant use after an hour charge. And its quick charge feature gives you three minutes of run time for a minute of charge.
Wahl 9864’s Shaver Head is Bigger than 9818
Wahl #9864 has a bigger blade opening compared to the 9818 model, and as such, you can utilize its bigger T-blade to take care of hair on the face, body, and nose. And of course, using a bigger T-blade will result in you covering more area in every stroke, which mean you are getting a quality trim in less time.
Also, the #9864 model comes with a foil shaving head, and this feature allows you to achieve a comfortable and close shave. However, the #9818 model doesn’t have a foil shaving head. Nevertheless, you can still enjoy a close shave using this trimmer, ll you need to do is to take off its guard.
Wahl 9864 Comes with a Well-Rounded Travel Case
Both models come with a zippered case travel case. Which provides the trimmer and attachments with cushion when traveling. And in addition to both travel case being weatherproof, the #9864 case is, however, a more well- rounded travel case. And this is because the #9864 model comes with a trimmer stand; in that way, you can keep everything organized.
Which One Should You Pick?
I will reiterate, both trimmers, for the most part, are identical; however, in my estimation, there is a 5% difference between the two. And this is so because the #9864 model has a foil shaving head, and the #9818 does not.
So, if you are someone keen on having that close and clean shave, then the #9864 model is what you need.
Another factor that inspired me to do a Wahl 9864 vs 9818 comparisons had to do with their battery life. The # 9864 model has 6 hours run time while the #9818 model has 4 hours run time. And if you are someone always on the go, then this factor may sway you into buying the #9864 model.
And finally, cleaning and maintenance for both trimmers are easy, but again, Wahl 9864 offers greater convenience, especially for persons on the go.
Recommended: Wahl 9888 vs 9818 Comparisons.